About Elizabeth Ballantyne
Elizabeth Ballantyne School provides a safe learning environment for students when on school property or on school sponsored activities off-site.
The school is a place in which students are encouraged to freely express their views, opinions and beliefs. At the same time, students are expected to accept the views, opinions and beliefs of others, no matter how different from their own, without malice or prejudice. At Elizabeth Ballantyne School, we:
- Encourage all individuals to have pride in their uniqueness and in their accomplishments.
- Respect the rights and property of others.
- Attend school, be punctual, and be prepared to work to the best of our ability.
- Contribute positively to establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for all to learn and succeed.
- Conduct ourselves in a manner that brings credit to ourselves, the school, and the community.
At Elizabeth Ballantyne School, we believe that each child is a unique individual with the potential to succeed in both a social and educational setting. We foster self-esteem, pride and achievement which lead to the development of children who are active, independent and productive members of the school, their family and society.
Every child is important but no child is more important than any other. We expect our students to act safely, intelligently, and courteously. We believe that the core characteristics of trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship develop through the co-operative support of staff, students, and visitors.
The school is a place in which we encourage students to listen to the views, opinions and beliefs of others, no matter how different from their own, without malice or prejudice.
According to "A Pictorial History of the Town of Montreal West" by Mr. D. Watson, the "School Board bought a parcel of land on Northview Avenue in 1921, for forty-five cents per square foot. Construction was started on the first wing of the school, containing eight new classrooms.The school was completed in March, 1922.
The new school was named Elizabeth Ballantyne School, after Miss Elizabeth Gordon Watt Ballantyne, who taught for thirty years for the Protestant Board of School Commissioners, and a sister of Mayor James Ballantyne."